• How do you turn legs 90 degrees? – Loosen and remove the nuts and bolts on the braces and dock brackets, slide the leg out, turn it to the required location and slide it back in.
• Will new wheel kit legs fit old dock? – Older docks have 2” legs versus the 3” current leg. You will need a dock conversion kit 510-00005-00 which includes new brackets and hardware.
• How do I properly install the legs? – Always follow the assembly instructions. Watch closely for the orientation of the bracket that slips over the leg. Medium and large leg kits have 2 or more braces that attach to the dock. Installation is clearly explained in the instructions.
GENERAL DOCK QUESTIONS
• How much weight can docks hold? –Roll in and sectional docks can hold 30 pounds per square foot. A 4×16 dock is 64 square feet X 30 pounds = 1920 pounds spread evenly over the dock. For floating docks, dock capacity varies depending on the size of floats. There is a reference chart in FLOE’s brochure with weights by dock and float size.
• Can two Shoreways be attached side by side? – Yes – they would need to be connected to two docks of the same width or a large sundeck.
• Will furniture & other accessories fit on other brands of docks? – FLOE’s accessories are attached using bolts and spacer plates that fit between the top and bottom dock frame. The spacing between FLOE’s roll in dock deck frame is 5 ½”. If your dock spacing is larger or smaller than this, you would need to adapt the spacers to fit the larger or smaller distance. Some dock brands do not have strong enough sides to hold a side load from the furniture.
• Will a dock hold a pontoon or boat tied to it? – Yes – you want to ensure it is securely tied to the dock’s bumpers or cleats. However, storms and high winds can be unpredictable and having the boat attached to the dock during these events is not always the best option.
• What size socket is used for the dock adjusting nut? – 1 1/8” – can use a corded drill, wrench or FLOE’s speed wrench. Do not use impact or hammer drills.
• How do I install dock edging? – Edging comes with rivets. Cut edging to correct size and place along dock. Space the rivets 8” apart. Drill holes for rivets and attach with a rivet gun.
• How can I remove a dent on dock? – You can try to tap it out from underneath. The entire dock panel may need to be replaced.
• Do zebra mussels impact the performance of the dock legs? – We have not had any reported incidents of zebra mussels hurting the performance of the legs. We’ve had dock systems in zebra mussel lakes for up to 10 years without any incidents.
• When installing my dock, the docks separate? – Be sure your quick connects are spread as far apart as possible on the dock. On sundecks you should be using the safety quick connects provided with the dock. Always attach the safety quick connects on the main dock section, not the sundeck.
• My dock section came apart in high water conditions? – Use safety quick connects if you are in heavy wave action lakes to secure the sections. Be sure your dock is high enough out of the water so waves pass under the dock and do not come in contact with the dock surface. See video on FLOE’s website for “Proper Dock Setup”.
• Can I put FLOE’s decking on my other brand dock? – FLOE’s decking is a proprietary product and we do not sell it to put on competitors docks.
• Can I purchase aluminum decking to re-deck my carpeted dock? – FLOE will re-deck your dock for you. Work through a dealer for pricing. You’ll need to bring your dock frame to the dealer who will send it to the factory. We do not sell decking to consumer to re-deck on their own as the decking is an integral part of the structure on the dock. It must be attached properly by an authorized FLOE welder.
• How much angle can I have on a Shoreways ramp? – A shoreway will only pivot up about 20” so it is not intended to be used on steep inclines.
• Do FLOE’s floating dock floats meet USACOE specifications? Yes, they actually exceed the USACOE specs and also meet the “HUNT” seven-day water absorption test.
• What paint does FLOE offer and what size does it cover? – FLOE’s paint comes in small 2-3 oz bottles and is designed to use for touching up scratches. It is not made for painting an entire dock. Spray bottles of grey and liquid aluma-grain touch up paint for scratches are available from any FLOE dealer.
• Can I paint my dock? – We do not recommend you paint your dock, but if you feel you must, work with an experienced painter such as an automotive paint shop. The surface must be completely clean or the paint may not adhere.
• What is the rivet size for cedar and carpeted docks?– 001-07000-00 Rivet, AS622SF 3/16” x 1 3/8”
• What kind of carpet should be used on docks? – Carpeting made for the outdoors. Be sure to use plywood that is an outdoor grade and outdoor glue when re-decking a carpeted dock.
• Can I connect a floating dock to a roll-in dock? – Yes – use a special hinge connector to connect the docks to each other.
• What are the tire dimensions? – 20” outside diameter and 9 ½“ width. The axle hole is approximately 1 ¾”. The depth of the hub is approximately 5 ¾”
• Does FLOE make anything to help in removing docks? – FLOE does not have a trailer hitch device to guide in the removal. Use straps around the side of the dock, not the end for removal.
• How much lift do the Airtight Wheels provide?- Each Airtight wheel (non-perforated for buoyancy) provides 60# of lift. The Airtight wheels are recommended for heavy sections like our sundecks. The part number is 010-06002-00.
• What the best way to remove and put in dock without damaging legs? – If there is a seawall or rip rap, use a long board to guide the wheels over the edge. Always pull from the sides of the dock and not the end frame to avoid damaging the dock. If wheels are settled into the lake bottom, use a slow and steady pull which will gently release the wheels. Do not use a jerking motion or begin with slack in the rope. Refer to FLOE’s dock install and removal video for further information. Use a rope, tow straps or winch to pull out the dock if necessary.
• What can be used to clean dock decking? – Wet the dock and use a soft brush to clean. Do not use power washer as you may damage the paint. If the dock has been submerged in water and has become stained, use a mild detergent. For severe stains you can also use an aluminum alloy wheel cleaner or Ox-Out 536 which is a stronger chemical cleaner. Always ensure you use chemicals away from the shoreline to ensure they do not enter the lake.
• What can be used to clean furniture/chairs ?– Clean frames with a mild solution of soap and water, rinse with clean water and dry thoroughly. Do not use abrasive materials or strong detergents. Twice a year, apply a quality automobile wash/clear wax to frame to protect against UV light and salty, damp air. In cold climates, drain any water accumulated inside the frames before storing. Clean the mesh fabric by hand with a mild solution of soap and water. Do not use bleach or solvents on fabrics.
• How can I prevent cedar from rotting? – Cedar is a living material and will eventually fade and begin to crack. To help preserve the finish, follow instructions on any wood deck protectant. Be sure to seal the dock away from the lake to avoid getting chemicals into the lake.
• How do I re-deck a cedar dock? – You can send your dock into FLOE to be re-decked to aluminum decking, cedar or carpeting. To re-deck in cedar, remove the old cedar boards. Cut the new cedar to the correct length and rivet to the frame.
• Can I re-deck carpet dock to aluminum? – Work with your local dealer to send the dock frames into FLOE to get re-decked. We do not sell decking for consumers to re-deck their own dock as the decking is an integral part of the structure of the dock.
• What plywood should be used for docks? –Outdoor grade plywood 19/32” thick.
• What size cedar is used on FLOE docks? – 5/4” thick and 5 3/8” wide. Boards run from end to end, not side to side (except the ramp) so the length of the dock is the board length.
• How many poles are needed for floating docks? – It depends on the configuration and the amount of wave action you have. Work with the local dealer for a site evaluation for your unique application.
• How do I install floating dock wedge? – Follow instructions – need to attach hinge kits to dock and wedge sides per instructions.
• Can a floating dock be connected to a roll in dock? – Yes – there is a special hinge designed to connect a floating to a roll in dock or shoreway.
• Can wheels be put on a floating dock? – FLOE’s shore end wheel kits are not designed to hold the weight of a floating dock. There is currently not a wheel option for floating docks.
• Can a floating dock be left in water in winter? – We recommend if lakes freeze during the winter to remove your floating dock to avoid any ice damage.
• Are anchors used for floating docks? – In very deep water conditions where FLOE’s 18’ guide poles are too short, concrete anchors may need to be used. FLOE does not provide anchors – you will need to work with local dealer for options.
• How high is the decking off the water on a floating dock? – The freeboard (dock height above water) is 16” on floating docks with 12” floats.
• What is the recommended degree of ascent on a gangway? – Anything steeper than 7-15 degrees will result in a very steep shoreway and potential safety issue.